Houghton Hill House 6010

Houghton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of Houghton Hill House include extensive gardens, a lake, a curved entrance drive and a small park.

History

Houghton Hill House was created in the mid-19th century for Gilbert Ansley.

Detailed Description

A view to Hemingford Abbots church was opened, giving prominence to a mature cedar of Lebanon in the grounds. Extensive new gardens were laid out including a lake and a small park formed on the north side with a curved entrance drive. An open air swimming pool with guest house from restored stables and an octagonal fountain have completed the improvements.
Features
  • Lake
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Outdoor Swimming Pool
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fountain
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Houghton and
History

Detailed History

Early in the 19th century, wealthy people chose the location of the village of Houghton to build new houses on elevated land which commanded fine views to the south. From 1840 this invasion commenced and still continues today. Houghton Hill was ideal for such a purpose, and in 1841 Gilbert Ansley built his home, surrounding it with a park of 35.6 hectares.

The house subsequently passed through several hands and in 1967 Lord Catto bought the property together with 6.4 hectares, all that remained of the original park, and regenerated the garden which by then had fallen into disrepair.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century