Houghton Grange 6009

Houghton, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Houghton Grange include two lodge cottages, a garden terrace, formal flower borders, lawns, a sunken pool garden, a rose pergola, a teahouse and espalier fruit tree paved walks.

History

Houghton Grange was created in the late-19th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The entrance drive is guarded by two lodge cottages. The sale particulars describe the gardens to the south and west of the house which stands on a terrace overlooking the valley of the River Ouse. The south terrace leads down to formal flower borders and lawns for tennis and croquet. There is also a sunken pool garden enclosed by yew hedges with rose banks on the outer curved sides. To the west is a sunken Dutch teahouse and a rose pergola. Thriving orchard and vegetable gardens with extensive glass houses are sited amongst espalier fruit tree paved walks.

The grounds were extended in 1905 to include a further 2.4 hectares south of the Thicket Path, closer to the rivers. This is now a Poultry Research Station.

Features
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Croquet Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tennis Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Espalier
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tea House
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pergola
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Houghton and
History

Detailed History

Standing in 15.6 hectares of parkland, reached by a 300 yard long drive of lime trees, this Tudor style red brick house was built for Harold Coote in 1897 by James Ransome.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust