Farm Hall, Godmanchester 5939

Godmanchester, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Farm Hall include avenues, a walk, a lawn, ha-ha, hedgerows, herbaceous borders, walled gardens and a canal.

History

Farm Hall was created in the mid-18th century for Charles Clarke.

Detailed Description

The south lawn with ha-ha leads to a town park of 9.6 hectares with a central lime avenue laid out when the house was built. The park has a preimeter walk along the hedgerows. There are enclosed gardens to the west with roses, herbaceous borders and shrubs, laid out over an earlier walled kitchen garden.

Opposite the Hall, on the north side of West Street, is a landscaped garden with pairs of gates and a claire-voie which reveals a canal bordered by poplars with outlet to the River Ouse. The canal and south avenue are on the main axis of the house.

Features
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrub Feature
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Canal
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Clairvoie
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Godmanchester
History

Detailed History

This red brick house was built for Charles Clarke, Recorder of Huntingdon and a Baron of the Exchequer, in 1746. During the Second World War the house was used as a training centre for British secret agents, and after the war ten leading German nuclear physicists were interned in secrecy.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust