Hardwicke Farm, Great Gransden 5921

Great Gransden, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Hardwicke Farm include ponds, a drive, hedges and herbaceous borders.

History

The farmhouse and gardens were created in the early-19th century, however the gardens have recently been renovated.

Detailed Description

To the west lies a grove of poplars planted by prisoners of the Napoleonic wars. There are two ponds, one either side of the drive. The garden was created by the present owners during the last twenty-five years by renovating the derelict farm buildings around a courtyard, and by the removal of extensive railway carriages which had been used as pigsties. The raised central path of the courtyard garden is edged with lavender. Many plants are grown in large pots.

To the south of the house is a central path edged with catmint and standard roses leading to an old apple tree covered with a climbing rose. A wide gap in the boundary Cupressus leylandii hedge gives views towards Hayley Wood. Herbaceous borders are filled with many poppies, sages and catmints.

Features
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Herbaceous Border, Hedge, Drive
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Great Gransden
History

Detailed History

On the route of the old Caxton to Gransden road is an 1810 rendered farm house with a large brick barn and other outbuildings forming a large courtyard.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust