Features of Fortrey's Hall included extensive gardens, which have now been lost.
Detailed DescriptionSamuel Fortrey, a London merchant, built the Hall. Later, in 1631 he built the Dutch House at Kew. His son, Sir James Fortrey died in 1719 and his romantic career is recorded on a wall monument in Mepal Church. ‘He enlarged Fortrey Hall with very considerable apartments and with Gardens and other improvements so as to make (in such a place) the admiration of the time'. These have all disappeared.
- Hall (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Fortrey's Hall was created in the early-17th century.
Detailed HistoryFortrey's Hall lies to the west of the Old Bedford River and was built by the Fortreys, refugees from Brabant in the early-16th century. The family was later co-adventurers with the Earl of Bedford in the drainage of the fens.
- Tudor (1485-1603)
Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust