Burystead Farm, Sutton 6200

Sutton, England, Cambridgeshire, East Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Past features of Burystead Farm included a moat and an extensive garden.

History

Burystead Farm was created in the late-13th and early-14th centuries.

Detailed Description

The farmhouse lies to the west of the village where the high ground of the Isle of Ely drops sharply under the slope of the hill along the road to Sutton Gault. The Burystead moat is to the east of this road and is 40 feet in width. Within the moat the enclosed area is not raised but contains various irregular depressions. Around the moat are some mature trees which are possibly an indication that here was a 17th-century garden and moat. There would seem to be no reason for laying out such a large moat for defensive requirements at some distance from the Manor. A large mature cedar which still grows in the farm's garden offers a further clue to there once having been an extensive garden on this site.
Features
  • Moat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Sutton
History

Detailed History

Burystead Farm incorporates a late-13th and early-14th century chapel of a former monastic range and the south wing was built in 1742. Burystead Manor was given to the prior and convent of Ely after the Danish invasions. After the Dissolution of 1541 it was transferred to the Dean and Chapter. During the 14th century, it was kept in hand by the prior and convent, and was considered the most valuable part of their property.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust