Grange Road, Number 37 (also known as Leckhampton)3977

Cambridge, England, Cambridgeshire, Cambridge

Brief Description

Features include a lawn, a pool, a temple, a mound and a rose garden.

History

Grange Road No. 37 was created in the late-17th century.

Detailed Description

Grange Road, No. 37 was divided into several plots, which were tended by various College attendants. The largest garden, which is four hectares (10 acres), lies to the south of the house and is planted in a William Robinson natural style.

Originally, the lawn was enclosed by conifer and deciduous trees, with a view through to a meadow beyond. A pool and temple on a mound were in the far distance, reached by paths around the edge of the meadow. By 1927 the space between the lawn and meadow was given over to a wider lawn with mounds either side, and a bank at the meadow's edge.

Today, a new hostel has been sited to the west of the house; and the main vista has been emphasised by a centrally mown grass path through the meadow which contains cowslips, followed later by drifts of blue lupins. A later addition to the garden has been a formal rose garden to the west of the meadow.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Temple
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Artificial Mound
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rose Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

Grange Road, No. 37 was established in 1679 as a private residence. The land was used throughout the 19th century as divided plot gardens.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust