Conington Hall 5929

Conington, England, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire

Brief Description

Features of Conington Hall include fishponds, hedges, hot houses, glasshouses and yew hedges.

History

Conington Hall was created in the early-18th century.

Detailed Description

Originally it had only a walled garden and a group of fishponds to the north. The parkland was created gradually after 1800, the south quarter before 1836, the rest in the later 19th century. This involved the removal of part of the village of Conington. The fishponds and the walled garden survive; the latter now contains fine hot houses, glasshouses and a fruit room.

The Hall is approached through a grove of tall trees in the park and pleasure grounds. The ‘Wilderness’ of 2.4 hectares to the north of the Hall has a central vista with two rectangular fish ponds which survive today. There are mature trees and yew hedges to the south of the hall.

Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Glasshouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Conington
History

Detailed History

Conington Hall, built in about 1700 by a member of the Cotton family, stands in some 28 hectares of parkland.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust