The Grange, Lolworth 5926

Lolworth, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Previous features of The Grange include a medieval moat, several gardens, a loggia and paths.

History

The Grange was established in the mid-19th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

To the south east of the house are remains of a trapezoidal medieval moat complete in 1842, when it was shown on the tithe map. The grounds consist of several gardens among mature trees—cedar, Scots pine, copper beech, Wellingtonia and limes.

There is a loggia with climbing plants on the south side of the house. The garden has now been simplified. The 1938 sale particulars showed paths which are now grassed over and the complex layout of flowerbeds on the lower lawn have been removed.

Features
  • Flower Bed
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Loggia
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Moat
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Lolworth
History

Detailed History

The Grange is situated at the end of a drive, approached through brick pillars with wrought iron gates. It was built in 1867 on a large scale with a patterned tiled roof.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust