Boxworth Manor 5928

Boxworth, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Boxworth Manor include a maze, a vegetable garden and lawns.

History

The present Boxworth Manor was created in the 18th century as a private residence, but the gardens were created in the late-19th and early-20th centuries.

Detailed Description

The gardens created in the late-19th century were based on those at the family home at Diddington, and Mr. Petfield, Head Gardener at Diddington, planned the work. By 1882, this was a small farmhouse garden and was enlarged eightfold and laid out by the head gardener.

In 1902 the elder Thornhill planted a copy of the maze at Hatfield House south of the Huntingdon Road near the spinney called ‘The Thicket’. By the end of 1914, the maze was overgrown and eventually it was grubbed out after the Second World War.

Today the garden has fine specimen trees and herbaceous borders but many trees and shrubs were removed because of overcrowding. Immediately to the south of the road opposite is a small vegetable garden on the site of an earlier workshop, with lawns enclosed by low brick walls and piers.

Features
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shrub Feature
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Maze
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Boxworth
History

Detailed History

The Manor House is predominantly of 18th-century date but incorporates an earlier, 17th-century building. It was taken over in 1882 by Captain Edmund Henry Thornhill (d.1936) and his son Edmund Bacon Thornhill who together, created the present flower and kitchen gardens.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust