Boxworth House (also known as Old Rectory)5927

Boxworth, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Boxworth House include a kitchen garden, pool, canal, boat house and orchard.

History

Boxworth House was the Old Rectory before it was transformed into the present house and grounds.

Detailed Description

The Ordnance Survey map of 1888 shows a kitchen garden, a plunge pool and a canal with boat house. The property now includes part of the old orchard on medieval ridge and furrow and to the north east, Browns Leys Grove, and the remains of an extensive elm wood, which had cross rides. There are fine specimen trees—evergreen oak, plane and chestnuts—which today shade the canal.
Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Latest Date:
  • Canal
  • Latest Date:
  • Boat House
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Boxworth
History

Detailed History

Formerly the Old Rectory, the house stands in extensive grounds of four hectares which include the old medieval street and part of the old village green.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust