Almost the only planting in the cemetery is a number of Lombardy poplars along the boundary with Tottenham Park Cemetery. Separated by a concrete block wall from Montagu Road, the cemetery entrance consists of non-structural brick 'piers' and a cast-iron gate, with a small brick lodge immediately to the left of the wide tarmac roadway that leads into the cemetery, either side of which and on lightly raised ground are rows of graves laid out in very orderly fashion.
Edmonton Federation Cemetery was set up in 1889 by the Federation of Synagogues Burial Society.
Visitor FacilitiesPrivate grounds, but open - notice only giving closing time of 5pm (April).
Detailed DescriptionEdmonton Federation Cemetery was set up in 1889 by the Federation of Synagogues Burial Society on land donated for the purpose by Samuel Montagu, banker, philanthropist and MP, who was a key instigator in establishing the Federation in 1887. Previously called Jeremys Green Lane, Montagu Road was renamed after him. The Federation Cemetery is the largest of the three cemeteries that abut each other here, and is largely devoid of planting. Many prominent rabbis are buried in the western section, including Rabbi Eliezer Gordon from Telz (d.1910); thousands of people attended the addresses in the East End prior to his burial.
Webb C, revised ed. of Wolfston, P, Greater London Cemeteries and Crematoria, Society of Genealogists, 3rd ed. 1994. See Federation of Synagogues website, History section; The Paul Drury Partnership for LB Enfield, 'Montagu Road Cemeteries Conservation Area Character Appraisal', 2006
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=ENF016
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsPrivate grounds, but open - notice only giving closing time of 5pm (April).
DirectionsTube: Tottenham Hale (Victoria) then bus. Rail: Edmonton Green. Bus: 192
London Parks and Gardens Trust