The house was re-opened by Enfield Council as Millfield House Arts Centre in 1979, encompassing a theatre and library (now relocated). The gardens immediately surrounding the house were landscaped with flower beds, shrubberies and trees; one of Enfield's communal air-raid shelters is found in the garden. Millfield House was re-opened in April 2011 following refurbishment.
Millfield House, originally a smaller house, was enlarged in the latter part of the C18th to provide a fine suburban villa, which had a number of illustrious tenants. In 1849 it became a school for London workhouse children, which was extended over the years and by 1897 housed c.400 paupers. It was partially self-supporting with two meadows, a few acres of cultivated land, a herd of cows and some pigs. It closed in 1913 and from 1918-71 it was used as a hospital.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens have unrestricted access from Pymmes Brook.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens have unrestricted access from Pymmes Brook.
DirectionsRail: Silver Street then bus; Edmonton Green then bus. Bus: 34, 102, 144, W6, 217, 231
London Parks and Gardens Trust