Although little of the original layout survives, the Italian Gardens are still laid out with formal bedding, and the park has many fine trees. On the west side of the park is the more informal area of Downhills Recreation Ground.
The park is on land that was once part of the large Mount Pleasant estate where in 1789 Downhills House was built, which had ornamental gardens on the south and a grove of trees towards the river. Part of Downhills Estate was leased to Broadwater Farm. The estate had numerous private owners, the last of whom sold it to the British Land Company who sold it on to Tottenham UDC in 1902, when the house was demolished. The public park was laid out on the former landscaped grounds although many fields were built over. Downhills Park opened in 1903 but was extended in 1904 with 4 acres purchased from the railway company. Early features included a rockery, Italian Garden, lake, thatched arbour, water-tower, conservatory, bandstand, model railway, keeper's lodge, elaborate stone terraces and fine hornbeam avenue.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Seven Sisters (Victoria) then bus; Turnpike Lane (Piccadilly) then bus. Rail: Seven Sisters. Bus 67, 230, W4, 341.
- Early 20th Century