The layout today has little changed from the park's opening in 1892 and many of the trees date from the 19th century, with an ancient oak reputedly over 400 years old. Bruce Castle became a museum in 1906 and continues to house the local history collection.
Bruce Castle Park is on the site of the one of the four manors of Tottenham, the only mansion in its grounds that remains in the area. It gets its name from its link with the Scottish royal family of de Brus, who held part of the manor until 1306. There were numerous illustrious owners over the centuries. A survey of 1619 shows the manor house with a tower and grove of trees on a site that is similar to the present extent of the public park. The present house was erected on or near this site, probably in the 1620s, when the garden may also have been remodelled. In 1827 it became a pioneering school until 1891, when both house and park were bought by Tottenham UDC. The park was given a new layout and opened in August 1892, Tottenham's first public park.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from dawn to dusk. Museum: Wed-Sun & Easter Mon, May BH, Aug BH: 1-5pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from dawn to dusk. Museum: Wed-Sun & Easter Mon, May BH, Aug BH: 1-5pm.
DirectionsRail: Bruce Grove. Tube: Wood Green (Piccadilly) then bus. Bus: 123, 243, 318.