Crane Park is a linear park along the north bank of the River Crane from Meadway in Twickenham to the Hanworth Road in the west. It still retains important industrial archaeological remains including the Shot Tower built in 1828.
The Crane had various names, including 'the Powder Mill River' due to its most important industry; the western end of the park was the site of Hounslow Gunpowder Works, which opened around 1766/8, flourishing into the early-20th century. After it ceased to operate for gunpowder manufacture, the subsequent owner sold part of the site for housing and part to Twickenham Council who turned it into a public park, which was opened in 1935. Crane Park Island was created to contain a mill-pool of water used to drive mill machinery, some remains of which are still found.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted, although the Shot Tower is open only on the 1st and last Sunday each month.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted, although the Shot Tower is open only on the 1st and last Sunday each month.
DirectionsRail: Whitton then bus. Bus: H22, 110