Hounslow Cemetery 7230

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The two small cemetery chapels, divided by a porte-cochère, are in the oldest part of the cemetery. Between the graves is mown grass, with some trees including conifers generally found on the perimeter of the cemetery.

History

The land for Hounslow Cemetery was conveyed to Hounslow Burial Board in 1868 and the first portion was consecrated in February 1869.

Visitor Facilities

9am - 4pm (Nov-Feb)/- 5.30pm (Mar, Oct)/ - 7pm (Apr, May, Aug, Sept)/ - 8pm (June/July)/ - 2pm (Xmas day)

Detailed Description

The land for Hounslow Cemetery was conveyed to Hounslow Burial Board in 1868 and the first portion was consecrated in February 1869. It was enlarged in the C20th when an additional area was consecrated in June 1921. Two further areas in the south-east portion of the ground were consecrated in May 1928 by the Lord Bishop of London, and an additional 5 acres consecrated in 1929. The two small cemetery chapels, divided by a porte-cochère, are in the oldest part of the cemetery. Between the graves is mown grass, with some trees including conifers generally found on the perimeter of the cemetery.

Sources consulted:

Middlesex Chronicle

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=RIC031

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

9am - 4pm (Nov-Feb)/- 5.30pm (Mar, Oct)/ - 7pm (Apr, May, Aug, Sept)/ - 8pm (June/July)/ - 2pm (Xmas day)

Directions

Tube: Hounslow East (Piccadilly) then bus. Bus: 110, 111.
History

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust