The Crematorium gardens have gradually been extended and now comprise the North Garden, a Wild Garden, a Rose Garden and the main lawn. Memorials include the Book of Remembrance and Arboria wooden plaques, both located in the Remembrance Hall beneath the tower, and within the grounds are Wall Plaques, Rose Bushes and Bronze Kerbstone Plaques.
The Crematorium was designed by architect John Denman, Denman & Son, with a group of buildings planned on a symmetrical axis with a central Garden of Remembrance. On 6 October 1954 the President of the Cremation Society, Lord Horder, opened the new facility, the chapels and Gardens of Remembrance were dedicated by the Bishop of Kensington, Rt. Revd Cyril Eastaugh.
Visitor FacilitiesThe main gate is closed at 5pm (cars).
Detailed DescriptionSouth West Middlesex Crematorium opened in 1954 and now serves the London boroughs of Hounslow, Ealing, Hillingdon, Richmond and Spelthorne Borough Council. Surrounded at that time by open parkland, the site was chosen for 'its beauty and peaceful nature'. The group of buildings was planned on a symmetrical axis with a central Garden of Remembrance. The landscaped grounds have varied gardens behind the Crematorium building with numerous trees of many species; extensive rose gardens, and woodland areas.
Middlesex Chronicle 8 October 1954, 19 May 1988; History of Crematorium on South West Middlesex Crematorium website
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HOU050
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe main gate is closed at 5pm (cars).
DirectionsRail: Feltham then bus. Bus: 111, 285
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust