Crane Valley Park (also known as Crane Park)7744

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The river borders had parkland in the north within LB Richmond, and woodland, scrub and grassland on the south bank in LB Hounslow.

History

The river begins in Harrow and runs through Hillingdon as the Yeading Brook, changing its name to the Crane at the Grand Union Canal in Hayes and eventually meeting the Thames at Isleworth. The Duke of Northumberland's River links the Crane Valley to the Colne Valley. From the late-18th century to 1926 Bedfont Gunpowder Mills operated here due to the isolated position, supply of water power and abundance of willow and alder trees for making charcoal. After the closure of the mills the southern section of the Crane River was opened as a public park in 1935.

Visitor Facilities

The park is open from 8am - dusk.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The park is open from 8am - dusk.

Directions

Tube: Hounslow West (Piccadilly) then bus. Rail: Feltham then bus. Bus: 116, 117, 237, 235, H23