The gardens contain fine trees and shrubs, with an Old English Garden planted in the walled garden, and a 1930s shelter.
Park Hill Recreation Ground was created in two stages. Once part of the deer park of the Archbishops of Canterbury, much of the land was later used for agriculture. In the 19th century the area was gradually developed for housing and in 1867/8 the Water Tower was built to supply fresh water to the town. In 1887 Croydon Corporation purchased part of Park Hill from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for a public park, which opened in 1888. It was enlarged in 1930 when the Corporation purchased neighbouring Coombe Cliff House, built for tea merchant and collector John Horniman, where he had a conservatory for his botanical collection.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
DirectionsRail: East Croydon; South Croydon then bus. Bus: 64. Tram route: 1, 2, 3.