Christ Church Garden is the former churchyard of Christ Church built here in 1671. After the site became a public garden, a drinking fountain was donated by John Passmore Edwards. When the church was bombed, the cross fell into the churchyard scorching the ground, its position now marked by a stone cross in the grass. The garden was redesigned in 2000.
The church was rebuilt in the 18th century and added to in the 1890s but destroyed by bombing in World War 2. The current church dates from 1960. The churchyard was enlarged a number of times but closed to burial in 1856. It was converted into a public garden by the MPGA and opened in 1900.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Southwark (Jubilee). Bus: 45, 63, 381.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)