By early C21st the garden was fairly derelict, with a burnt tree stump and broken brick planters. It was re-paved in 2003 and the poorly maintained brick planters opposite the Old Vic were removed. Since 2005 new landscaping has again taken place.
Opposite the Old Vic, Emma Cons Garden commemorates the theatre's benefactress. The Old Vic opened in 1818 and was managed by Emma Cons from 1880 until her death in 1912. The site opposite the theatre was bombed in WWII and was derelict until purchased by the LCC and opened as a public garden in 1958, laid out with trees, raised grass plots and seats
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Waterloo (Northern, Waterloo and City, Jubilee, Bakerloo). Bus: 1, 11, 59, 68, 168, 171
London Parks and Gardens Trust