Part of the former churchyard survives to the north of the church.
The church was first recorded here c.1111, Bene't being a corruption of St Benedict, founder of the order of Benedictine monks in the C6th. St Benet's burnt down in the Great Fire of 1666 and was rebuilt in 1678-84 by Wren and possibly Robert Hooke. Early recorded burials include Sir William Cheyny and Margaret his wife (d.1425), and famous people associated with the church include Inigo Jones (d.1652) who was buried beneath the chancel and Henry Fielding who married the former maid of his first wife here in 1747. Part of the former churchyard survives to the north of the church, but had been reduced in size in the 1870s when Queen Victoria Street was laid out. In 1879 the church was saved from destruction when it became the London Church of the Welsh Episcopalians.
Visitor FacilitiesAccess is unrestricted. Church open by arrangement.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsAccess is unrestricted. Church open by arrangement.
DirectionsTube: Blackfriars; Mansion House (District, Circle)
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust