The steep terraced churchyard that lies between the church front and Queen Victoria Street was laid out as a garden in 1901 when the front wall with urns and ornamental wrought iron gates were erected, presented in memory of church warden Professor Banister Fletcher.
The church was first called St Andrew's juxta Baynard's Castle after a tower erected on the banks of the Thames by the Baynard family, who came to England with William the Conqueror. Baynard's Castle was later owned by the Crown and occasionally used as a Royal residence. St Andrew's later became known as St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe due to the proximity of the Royal Wardrobe, which had moved from the Tower in the mid C14th to a site now Wardrobe Place north of the church. Baynard's Castle, the Wardrobe and St Andrew's were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666, the church rebuilt in 1685-94 by Wren.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening of the gardens is unrestricted. Church: Mon-Fri 10am-4pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening of the gardens is unrestricted. Church: Mon-Fri 10am-4pm.
DirectionsTube: Blackfriars (District, Circle). Rail: Blackfriars
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust