Gate piers and railings remain either side of the flight of steps leading up to the church door from Queen Victoria Street, with gravelled areas either side.
It is not known why the church was called St Nicholas Cole Abbey. The pre-Fire church was ancient, the main body predating its 14th-century tower and south aisle. By the 16th century the church was below the surrounding ground level, which had been raised in the interim. Destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666, a new and larger church by Wren was built in 1677. The church was bombed in World War 2 and rebuilt in 1961/2 but later closed to worship.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube: Mansion House (District, Circle)
- Medieval (1066-1540)
- 12th Century
Church of England
London Parks and Gardens Trust