By the late-20th-century half the park was laid out as an asphalted playground, the remainder having grass, seats and several mature London plane trees. Having become neglected, in 2008 the park was restored through Heritage Lottery funding with improved play and sports facilities. It was renamed Ufford Street Gardens.
In the 18th century open ground here was known as Chalcroft Meadow, part of the Manor of Lambeth, owned by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In the early-19th century the area began to be built on by a Mr Samuel Short, who is recalled in a local street name. By 1901 the houses needed rebuilding and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners decided that part should also be set aside as public open space. Lambeth Borough Council agreed and laid out Ufford Street Recreation Ground, which was transferred to them by the Commissioners in 1907.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 7.30am - 15 minutes before sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 7.30am - 15 minutes before sunset.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Waterloo (Northern, Waterloo and City, Jubilee, Bakerloo). Bus: 1, 11, 68, 168, 171
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)