The cemetery has a basic layout of paths, and is now hemmed in by industrial development. There is little mature planting, some lime, holly, yew, horse chestnut, Leylandia among other species mainly in the south section, with less in the north section. It is bounded by utilitarian C20th railings to Park Royal Road. A Cross of Sacrifice was erected by the Imperial War Graves Commission to honour those who lost their lives in WWI and WWII.
Acton Cemetery opened in 1895, set up by the Acton Burial Board to provide more facilities for burial as the population of the parish grew.
Visitor Facilities8am - weekdays, 9am weekends. Closing: 4.30pm Nov-Feb; 5.30pm Mar, Oct; 7pm Sept, Apr; 8pm May-Aug.
Detailed DescriptionActon Cemetery was opened in 1895 on farmland purchased for the purpose by Acton Local Board in 1893. Land was initially consecrated for burial in the southern section, a drive from the entrance leading to a pair of chapels connected by a porte-cochère with picturesque turret. The cemetery was extended to the north in 1915 and 1926 but by 1903 the site was divided by the railway line running east/west, the two parts connected by a metal footbridge. Among those buried here are various civic dignitaries and others, including Albert Perry, a passenger on the SS Lusitania, and George Temple, the first British airman to fly upside down. Near the entrance on Chase Road to the north a small circular memorial garden was created c.2001 on the site of a former cemetery building.
T F T Baker, C R Elrington (eds), Diane K Bolton, Patricia E C Croot, M A Hicks 'A History of the County of Middlesex: Vol 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden', (Victoria County History, 1982); Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Meg Game, John Archer, Mathew Frith, 'Nature Conservation in Ealing', Ecology Handbook 16 (London Ecology Unit), 1991
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=EAL001
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details8am - weekdays, 9am weekends. Closing: 4.30pm Nov-Feb; 5.30pm Mar, Oct; 7pm Sept, Apr; 8pm May-Aug.
DirectionsTube: North Acton (Central). Bus: 260, H40.
London Parks and Gardens Trust