The canal was in use for transporting goods until the early C20th and now provides a green corridor with recreational facilities along the towpath.
The Grand Union Canal was built in 1800 to extend the existing Grand Junction Canal, which ran to Brentford, with central London. The land for the Hammersmith stretch of the canal was purchased in 1799 from the Bishop of London.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsLondon Overground/Tube (Bakerloo): Willesden Junction then bus. Tube: North Acton (Central) then bus. Bus: 220, 266.
London Parks and Gardens Trust