Woodside Green is a traditional village green, now divided into 3 parts by roads. The Green retains a stone cattle and horse trough, and is bounded by post and rail fencing. The layout has only altered from the late C19th to accommodate road widths and the War Memorial now located at the apex of the Green.
References to the old hamlet date back to 1662 and the Green is shown on the Croydon Inclosure Map of 1800. In 1870 the north-east part was proposed as a site for a new church but local pressure opposed this and in 1871 the land was granted to Croydon Local Board of Health on condition it was 'forever kept as an open space'. In 1888 the adjacent Poplar Farm was acquired and its land later added to the Green.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/London Overground: Norwood Junction then bus. Tramlink: route 1, 2: Woodside