The oldest part of the cemetery is near the main entrance, which has a large Edwardian lodge. The consecrated chapel was damaged by bombing in World War 2 and was later demolished. The surviving unconsecrated chapel was converted into the chapel for Beckenham Crematorium, which was established here in 1956. The cemetery retains its stone gate piers, wrought iron gates and iron boundary railings and has a good collection of monuments.
Crystal Palace District Cemetery was opened in 1880. Previously owned by Beckenham Crematorium Company, the crematorium is now owned by Dignity Funerals Ltd.
Visitor Facilities8am - 6.30pm, car park closes 4.30pm
Detailed DescriptionCrystal Palace District Cemetery was opened in 1880. It originally had two Gothic style chapels, only one of which survived bombing in WWII. This is now the chapel for Beckenham Crematorium, which established here in 1956. An area of artificial rockwork with cascades and pools is located behind the chapel to the west. The cemetery retains its stone gate piers, wrought iron gates and iron boundary railings and has a good collection of monuments, including that of cricketer W.G. Grace and Frederick Wolseley, inventor with Herbert Austin of the Wolseley car.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008), pp142-5; B Cherry & N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 2: South' (1983, reprint 1999) p167; The Builder, vol. 32, 7 November 1874, pp.923-24
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=BRO004
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details8am - 6.30pm, car park closes 4.30pm
DirectionsRail: Birkbeck, Elmers End. Tram at Elmers End. Bus: 354
London Parks and Gardens Trust