The new Country Park sought to preserve the wetlands and developed new meadowlands on areas that had previously been tipped.
South Norwood Country Park was created in 1987 on land in the north east of the borough, originally used for agriculture as well as pottery and brickworks. Old maps show there may have been an 18th-century moated site near the open stream. From 1862 it became Croydon Corporation's sewage farm, with land acquired in a piecemeal fashion until as late as 1951. The sewage works closed in 1967 and the filter beds were dismantled to ground level.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Elmers End. Tramlink Route 2: Harrington Road
London Parks and Gardens Trust