In 1981 the site was created as a nature park by the Ecological Parks Trust, now the Trust for Urban Ecology. The wood is largely mixed oak woodland with a number of ancient oak trees and various trees from the Victorian gardens are also present.
Dulwich Upper Wood was once part of the Great North Wood within the Manor of Dulwich. The area developed rapidly following the Great Exhibition of 1851 when Crystal Palace was removed and re-built at Sydenham Hill and opened again in 1854. Large Victorian houses were built in the vicinity. After Crystal Palace burnt down in 1936, its railway fell into disuse and the area declined. In addition WWII bombing destroyed Victorian houses on the east side of Farquhar Road, their gardens became overgrown and reverted to woodland.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
Opening is unrestricted.
Rail: Gipsy Hill, Crystal Palace. London Overground: Crystal Palace. Bus: 2, 3, 63, 122, 157, 202, 227, 249, 322, 358, 410, 417.
LB Southwark, leased to Trust for Urban Ecology
- Features & Designations
Site of Nature Conservation Importance
- Key Information
Parks, Gardens And Urban Spaces
Open to the public
London Parks and Gardens Trust