Well Street Common was laid out with paths, seating and some planting and has mature horse chestnut and plane trees.
Well Street gets its name from a spring that was once here. Well Street Common was previously part of South Hackney Common, which was owned by the Lord of the Manor of Hackney and used for agriculture. As the area was becoming built over, 180 acres of Hackney's common land was saved from development following a local petition and campaign in the 1860s, which led to its preservation for public use. All these lands were transferred to the MBW although it wasn't until the 1880s that the rights were purchased from the Lord of the Manor. Common rights were extinguished by an Act of Parliament 1884.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: London Fields. London Overground: Homerton. Bus: 26, 30, 277.