The hospital was set in spacious grounds with mature trees and as open-air treatment was recommended sun balconies were added to the south-east of the building in the early 1900s, although they were later enclosed.
The London Chest Hospital was founded in 1848 to offer treatment to poor people in the City and East London suffering from tuberculosis. Land owned by the Crown was acquired on Bonner Fields, formerly the site of Stepney Manor House, demolished in 1848, where there had been plans to lay out ornamental gardens as part of Victoria Park. The foundation stone was laid by Prince Albert in 1851 and the new hospital opened in 1855. In the following decades pioneering work led to a greater understanding of TB.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail: Cambridge Heath. Tube: Bethnal Green (Central). Bus: 309, D3
- Mid 19th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust