The site was converted into a public garden following agreement of the Bishop of London in 1884, with some chest tombs left in position but the remainder moved to the north and east perimeter. The garden has a number of fine plane trees along either side with a central path flanked at intervals by shrubs.
St Thomas's Burial Ground was the former cemetery to a chapel-of-ease of St John-at-Hackney Church that was established here in 1810 to serve the southern part of the parish. Although the chapel was demolished after it ceased to be used in 1848, burials continued until 1876.
Visitor FacilitiesThe garden is open 7.30am - dusk (summer 9.30pm, winter 4pm).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe garden is open 7.30am - dusk (summer 9.30pm, winter 4pm).
DirectionsRail: London Fields. Bus 26, 48, 55, 106, 236, 253, 277, D6