The church is surrounded by its churchyard on a large island site with an alley of 19th-century plane trees, railed graveyard with 20th-century railings, headstones, and two handsome 19th-century monuments dedicated to the Hopewell and the Framington families.
The church of St John of Jerusalem was built in 1848, replacing a chapel-of-ease of 1806-10 on the north side of Well Street that had become parish church for South Hackney in 1825 when the parish was divided into three. In 1904 footpaths and lighting were provided through the churchyard. The original spire was lost during World War 2, replaced by a new slender spire.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted in parts; some parts behind railings.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted in parts; some parts behind railings.
DirectionsRail: London Fields. Bus: 277.
- Mid 19th Century
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust