There are notable plane, and other semi-mature trees in the grounds, and numerous headstones and chest tombs set in grass. There are plans for a new synagogue to be built adjacent to the lodge on the turning circle.
By the early-18th century a small Sephardic Jewish community had grown up in Hackney; in 1786 a group of Ashkenazim on behalf of the Hambro Synagogue, purchased land on the east of Grove Street for the Jews Burial Ground, which opened in 1788, with the first burial on 11 February of that year. By the mid-19th century the cemetery had become somewhat run down and in 1870 both grounds and buildings were improved. The burial ground was closed to burials by 1886, shortly after which the 18th-century prayer hall appears to have been demolished.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open by appointment only.
Detailed DescriptionBy the early C18th there was a small Sephardic Jewish community in Hackney, and in 1786 a group of Ashkenazim, on behalf of the Hambro Synagogue, purchased land on the east of Grove Street, the former name of what is now Lauriston Road. The Jews Burial Ground opened in 1788, then called Grove Street Cemetery. In 1870 both the grounds and buildings were improved, including new entrance gates, renovation of tombs and planting of trees and shrubs. It was closed to burials in 1886. Little changed in intervening years, the cemetery retaining its C19th lodge, iron gates and railings, and numerous headstones and chest tombs set in grass among trees. There are plans to build a new synagogue here on the former carriage drive next to the lodge.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); Victoria County History; David Mander, Strength in the Tower, an Illustrated History of Hackney (Sutton) 1998. See Cemetery Scribes website: www.cemeteryscribes.com, Brief History of Lauriston Road Cemetery.
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HAC027
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open by appointment only.
DirectionsTube: Mile End (Central/Hammersmith & City/District) then bus. Bus: 277
- Late 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust