Facilities at Wandle Park include football pitches, a skate park and a children's playground.
Wandle Park was laid out on the site of two old meadows purchased by Croydon Corporation in 1888 and 1889. It opened in May 1890, its chief attraction the River Wandle that ran through it and the popular boating lake formed in the south half of the park, both now gone. Other facilities were a bandstand, tennis courts and bowling green. An open air pool opened in 1913 but had closed by 1979. The Borough's Summer Show was held here during the 1930s; there was fishing in the summer and ice-skating in the winter when the lake froze. In 1967 the river was culverted, its original course now marked by willows, and the lake, by now depleted of water, was filled and grassed over.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
DirectionsRail/London Overground: West Croydon. Tramlink: Route 3:Wandle Park. Bus: 289, 455
London Parks and Gardens Trust