In the 1960s a modern garden was created adjacent to the new Taberner House. In 1980 the Police Station that adjoined this was vacated and this enabled a new garden to be laid out bringing together the lower Victorian garden and upper Taberner House garden. Renamed The Queen's Gardens, they were opened by the Queen on 21 June 1983 for the Borough Centenary. The lower garden retains its Victorian character with carpet bedding and planting while the upper garden has a central fountain and pool and more geometric lines.
The original Town Hall Gardens were built on a site purchased as railway land when Croydon was developing. In 1889 the land was offered to Croydon Corporation for new municipal buildings. Formal gardens were laid out below ground level adjacent to the Town Hall, which was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1896. A plan to build over the gardens in the 1930s came to nothing.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: East Croydon. Tram route 1, 2 and 3.
London Parks and Gardens Trust