The old churchyard walls remain and gravestones were laid as a paved area adjacent to the church.
St James's Church was built in 1828 on the last area of open space here, once extensive commonland. From 1890-1920 half an acre of the churchyard became the responsibility of Croydon Corporation to provide much-needed public open space. Finally, in 1959, it was agreed that the whole churchyard should become a public garden, although this was not laid out until 1966.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsBus: 60, 64, 250, 289, 450
London Parks and Gardens Trust