Waddon Ponds, formerly part of an old estate of around 2000 acres, is now the only place where the River Wandle is visible in Croydon. A sundial commemorates Mr Pescott Row, who vigorously campaigned for the park.
There was a corn mill from medieval times, and the ponds were formerly millponds. The river was dammed to form a lake but in the late-19th century diverted to the north and east, creating an area of watercress beds, later drained for allotments and finally used for industrial purposes. The public park was formed in 1928 when Croydon Corporation purchased parts of two estates, Waddon Court and Waddon Lodge, the remaining land built over for housing.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
DirectionsRail/London Overground: West Croydon Tramlink: Route 3 Wandle Park. Bus: 289, 455
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)