The gravestones have been removed, some headstones used to form paths, and more elaborate memorials erected as a screen wall round the church. Special tombs and sarcophagi were relocated in the garden, as was the War Memorial. Adjacent is the former Archbishops Palace, now Old Palace of John Whitgift School.
St John's Church Memorial Garden was formed from the churchyard of Croydon parish church. Destroyed by fire in 1867, St John's Church was rebuilt in 1870 and until 1957 had a traditional graveyard but by then no longer used for burials. When Church Street was widened, a new home was needed for the War Memorial and plans were developed to create a memorial garden on the site of the well-treed churchyard.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
DirectionsRail/London Overground: West Croydon. Tramlink: 1, 2 & 3. Bus: 264
London Parks and Gardens Trust