Walcot Hall, Barnack 6268

Stamford, England

Brief Description

Features of Walcot Hall include garden walls and terraces, a canal and an avenue of limes.

History

Walcot Hall was created in the mid-17th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

Situated on slightly higher ground than the garden, the hall has fine views across the landscape to the east. Garden walls and terraces to the south and west are possibly part of the 18th-century improvements carried out in 1767. The grounds are entered from the lodge through fine 17th-century gate piers to the north of the hall. The stable block lies to the east. To the south are the gardens with a canal and vista to Ufford in the east.

The view from the west of the hall is through an avenue of lime trees which leads to a disused entrance on the Great North Road. The grounds to the north of the hall adjoin the ‘Hills and Holes', abandoned early quarry workings. In the garden are two temples and a rotunda.

Features
  • Canal
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Temple
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Barnack
History

Detailed History

In 1671 on the death of Bernard Walcot, Walcot was bought by Sir Hugh Cholmondeley who built the present house in 1678.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust