Old Rectory, Ufford 6271

Stamford, England

Brief Description

Features of the Old Rectory include a lawn, long herbaceous borders, terraces and forest trees.

History

The Old Rectory has been built upon and repaired since the 14th century.

Detailed Description

The Old Rectory was the home of Mary Paley between 1850-70, the daughter of Reverend Thomas Paley, Rector of Ufford cum Bainton, who wrote about ‘the rambling old house, its front covered in red and white roses, a lawn, forest trees, long herbaceous borders and green terraces of the wonderful Victorian garden'. She subsequently married Alfred Marshall, the economist, and spent the later years of her life at Balliol Croft, 6 Madingley Road in Cambridge.
Features
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Ufford
History

Detailed History

The rectory has a 19th-century external appearance but conceals 14th-century roof timbers inside.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust