Ufford Hall 6269

Stamford, England

Brief Description

Features of Ufford Hall include a walled kitchen garden, a ha-ha and an interesting perimeter walk through the southern shelter belt in the park.

History

Ufford Hall was built in the mid-18th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The Hall is situated on the west side of the road to Bainton with a stable block to the north. There is a park of 13.6 hectares to the west of the Hall, created from paddocks owned by William Symonds in 1799. An interesting perimeter walk in the southern shelter belt of the park leads to the church via an enclosed covered gateway, a mixture of Gothic and Jacobean but probably 19th century. The Hall has views across open lands to the east and the garden to the west is mainly lawns with a ha-ha at the edge of the park. A walled kitchen garden is to the north of the stable block.
Features
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Shelter Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Ufford
History

Detailed History

Ufford Hall was built between 1734 and 1751 by George Manners, the third son of the 3rd Duke of Rutland, on the site of the old manor house of Uphall.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust