Stibbington Hall 6249

Sibson-cum-Stibbington, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of Stibbington Hall include several greenhouses, a kitchen garden, a formal garden, stone-edged lily ponds and a small park.

History

Stibbington Hall was created in the early-17th century. The gardens were transformed in the late-19th century by Captain Vipan.

Detailed Description

To the west of the house is a small park with drive through the perimeter planting, to the east are paddocks with a frontage to the River Nene and to the south a formal garden with central stone-edged lily ponds in lawn surrounded by raised mixed planting.

In Captain Vipan's other greenhouses he cultivated ferns and orchids, two of which were named after him-Vanda vipanii and the hybrid Cypripedium vipanii. His collection of fish was transferred to the London Zoo a few years before his death in 1939.

Features
  • Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Greenhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hall (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Sibson-cum-Stibbi
History

Detailed History

Set in grounds of 7.6 hectares, this fine Jacobean stone house built in 1625 has a handsome stone gateway which leads into the front entrance court. Captain John Alexander Maylin Vipan came to live at the hall with his mother after 1880. He was a keen ichthyologist, and kept one of the finest collection of fish in captivity in his two greenhouses in the kitchen garden. His collection of butterflies and moths was one of the best in the old county of Huntingdonshire.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshure Gardens Trust