Wothorpe Towers 6241

Peterborough, England

Brief Description

Features of Wothorpe Towers include terraced walks, parterres and recessed seating niches.

History

Wothorpe Towers was created in the early-17th century. Much of the garden no longer exists.

Visitor Facilities

Opening times are very limited, but visits can be made by appointment. Please see: http://www.wothorpe-towers.co.uk/opening.asp

Detailed Description

The existing gardens were swept away in the early-17th century. New terraced walks and parterres were created, although many of the earlier walls were retained and still survive. A splendid garden gateway with recessed seating niches lies to the east of the house.
Features
  • Walk
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Seat
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tower (featured building)
  • House
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Opening times are very limited, but visits can be made by appointment. Please see: http://www.wothorpe-towers.co.uk/opening.asp

Directions

http://www.wothorpe-towers.co.uk/contact.asp
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wothorpe
History

Detailed History

The old hill-top manor house at Wothorpe was rebuilt in the late-16th century and surrounded by an elaborate set of courts and walled gardens including one with a zig-zag stream flowing through it. Around 1620 Thomas Cecil, elder son of Lord Burghley, replaced the house by a dramatic towered lodge which he used ‘to retire out of the dust whilst his great house at Burghley was a-sweeping'. The house was abandoned in the later 18th century and is now a ruin.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust