Kingsley House, Barnack 6267

Peterborough, England

Brief Description

Features of Kingsley House include a curving drive, a large walled garden, a sunken lawn and rose beds.

History

Kingsley House was created in the 14th century, but was remodelled in the late-18th and the mid-19th centuries.

Detailed Description

The house is approached by a curving drive from Millstone Lane to the west, while a second entrance with circular drive leads to the church. The large walled garden is laid out with a sunken lawn with rose beds, lawns and trees to the south, and has a similar garden layout with sunken lawn as shown on an 1810 west view. Kingsley House is now divided into two private houses but still retains the exterior Kingsley knew.
Features
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Flower Bed
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Barnack
History

Detailed History

Kingsley House, formerly the Old Rectory, lies south-west of Barnack Church and is named after the Kingsley family. Charles Kingsley was a member of this family and wrote ‘The Water Babies' in 1863. Originally the house was built in the 14th century but was altered in 1792 and then again in 1861.

Period

  • 18th Century
  • Late 18th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust