Upton Manor House 6263

Peterborough, England

Brief Description

Features of Upton Manor House include a lawn, with a central flower bed, an orchard and an astronomical sundial.

History

Upton Manor House was created in the late-16th century as a private residence

Detailed Description

The Manor House has a lawn to the south with a central flower bed and bordered by shrubs. To the west of the house is an orchard with mulberry trees south of the small village church. In the centre of the orchard is a mid-17th-century astronomical sundial in the form of a large stone block on a moulded base, almost six feet high. It was erected by Bishop Dove.

The east and west sides have divided rectangular concavities diagonally set with concave hemispheres. The side facing south has a deep heart shaped concavity and the southern face of the top is inclined and has a divided rectangular concavity with semi-circular ends.

Features
  • Sundial
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Upton
History

Detailed History

The remaining wing of the late-16th-century manor house stands to the east of the hamlet of Upton. The two storey stone house was built for Sir Robert Wingfield, who sold the property in 1625 to the Dove family. Bishop Dove of Peterborough once lived in the manor house and is buried in the church. The house is said once to have been the home of Jane Seymour. It was also the birthplace of James Harington (1611-1677), the author of ‘The Commonwealth of Oceana' published in 1656.

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust