In 1935 the UDC acquired The Grange and its ornamental gardens, laid out by Alfred Smee from 1850. The lake, originally a mill pond, and trees planted by Smee remain today.
The site includes Beddington Park and The Grange, once part of the substantial estate owned from the 14th century by the influential Carew family, whose connection with Beddington continued for 4 centuries. Beddington Park was part of the deer park attached to Carew Manor. In the 16th century Sir Francis Carew laid out elaborate gardens, fragments of which remain. The estate lands were being sold off for housing development from the late 1860s, and Beddington & Wallington UDC purchased land between 1904-27, part of which became the public park. The Carew Manor House is now Carew Manor School.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening of Beddington Park is unrestricted, Carew Manor not normally open to the public, tours by LB Sutton Heritage Service of Great Hall, Dovecote, Orangery Walls
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening of Beddington Park is unrestricted, Carew Manor not normally open to the public, tours by LB Sutton Heritage Service of Great Hall, Dovecote, Orangery Walls
DirectionsRail: Hackbridge. Bus: 407, 410, 463, X26, 151, 455, 463
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust